Tuesday, August 23, 2016

Oil + Water = GROOVY! : Part 2

/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\
 Hey again guys! In this post, I will show you how I made my Dense-O-Meter, and I'll also talk about emulsions.

MY DENSE-O-METER
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
A Dense-O-Meter is a jar full of different types of liquid on top of each other. Whenever you drop a small item in it, it will either float on the top, or sink into a level of liquid. The level it sinks to is how dense the item is. (If you haven't seen the last post, density is the compactness of an item.) If you want to make a Dense-O-Meter, you'll need.....

- A Large Jar or Container
- Honey
-Light Corn Syrup
- Real Maple Syrup (I didn't have this)
- Milk
- Dish Soap
- Water
- Vegetable Oil
- Rubbing Alcohol
 (My Container was too full for the Alcohol)
- Food Coloring (Optional)
- Scotch Tape (Optional)
- Marker (Optional)
- Pipette

Once I got my jar set, I started adding the liquids one at a time. With the honey, corn syrup, and milk, I poured them down the center of the container so the liquids wouldn't mess up the other layers. The soap and water were a challenge. I had to squeeze the soap down the side of the container. The water was colored with food coloring to give some color to the Dense-O-Meter. I used the pipette to squeeze it down the sides so it wouldn't mix with the soap. With the oil, I just poured it down the sides, like the soap.

To test out the Dense-O-Meter, I got a washer, a carrot, and a plastic model of the Eiffel Tower. Here are the pictures of the Dense-O-Meter.
Density Levels

Density Level Labels
 In the pictures, you can see the washer in the honey, and the Eiffel Tower in the corn syrup and milk. Where's the carrot? If you check the dish soap level, you can see a bit of orange. The denser the item, the lower it sinks.



Items for dense-o-meter.
All items in dense-o-meter.
EMULSIONS
~~~~~~~~~~~~
We all know that oil and water don't mix, but how do we have so many things that have oil and water mixed in? The answer, is using an emulsifier. Emulsifiers are like magnets that attract both oil and water, that's how oil and water can mix. We can make certain foods called "Emulsions," like dressings, mayonnaise, and ice cream! They use emulsifiers to mix the oil and water  together. After a while, the oil and water might separate.There are many emulsifiers like egg yolk, tomato paste, Dijon mustard, etc.

/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\

I hope you enjoyed the post. In the next post, I will have a new un-boxing video. Bye!
/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\

No comments:

Post a Comment