Thursday, August 18, 2016

Oil + Water = GROOVY! : Part 1

/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\
 Hey guys! In this post, I have a speed video for my lava lamp for my oil and water tinker crate. I will talk about haw a lava lamp is so groovy. (Yep, that's a question in the tinker-zine.)




WHY IS A LAVA LAMP GROOVY?
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Have you wondered why a lava lamp was groovy? If you have, here's my answer. I think it's because oil and water just don't want to mix. If you look at a mixture of oil and water molecules, it looks like the oil molecules don't want to be around the water molecules. AKA, Hydrophobic. Just like the phrase says, "Oil and Water Don't Mix."

 You might be thinking, "How come the water is always on the bottom?" Good question! It's the density of the water. Density is how compact something is. Water is denser than oil. When you use the pump on the lava lamp, the air pushes up the water, meaning that having air mixed with the water gives it a lighter density! That's how my lava lamp works. Real lava lamps use heat instead of air to work. Instead of oil, there is a wax mixture that has a heavier density than water. It has a much lighter density once it heats up, which lowers the water. Once it cools off it lowers again, which switches the wax and water over and over again. The switching gives it a sort-of lava effect.

/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\

I hope you enjoyed the post. The video editor was having some trouble processing the video, but I was able to put it up. I will be making the next post soon. Bye!
/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\

No comments:

Post a Comment