Wednesday, July 22, 2015

Tinker Lab on Polymers Part 3

Hello again Guys! I'm here with another post for my tinker lab on polymers. This is the last part for my tinker lab on polymers. ( FINALLY!!!)

/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\

Before I get to the last project, I have a fun fact. Did you know that rubber bands, (I hope they don't play awful songs. RIM SHOT!!) bike and car tires are just ONE polymer molecule? It looks impossible, but it's true!

/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\

My last project was called "making plastic from milk."

I  put one cup of milk in a mug and put the mug in the microwave for 5 min. Then I mixed in 2 tablespoons of white vinegar in the milk and mixed it with a spoon, as I mixed, the milk mixture separated into a yellow liquid and white curds. I scooped out the curds with the spoon onto a layer of paper towels to dry. It was a cool project!!

It looked a lot like feta cheese.
 
The protein in the milk is what I turned into plastic. The protein is called casein. The casein under a microscope look like squiggly balls. The vinegar made the casein turn to plastic by unfolding the squiggly balls and connecting them together. What I tried to do with the plastic is make it into christmas ornaments but it was too crumbly.
 
/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\

I hope you liked the post, please like and comment and I will see you in the next post!

No comments:

Post a Comment