Wednesday, July 22, 2015

Tinker lab on Polymers Part 1

Hey again guys! I'm back with another post on my third tinker crate. My third tinker crate was all about polymers. It's pretty cool. ^_^

/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\

There are two types of polymers, natural and synthetic. Natural and synthetic polymers are all around your home.

   Natural          Synthetic
  ~~~~~~~~    ~~~~~~~~
   Paper                Tires
   Silk               Containers
Cornstarch       Vinyl Bags

Polymers are made of small molecules called "mers." They all link up to make a polymer, which is one big molecule.

Poly = Many
Mer = Part
Polymers means "many parts."

/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\
The gummy bear was 11/16 in. before.
My first project was called "Growing Gummies."

What I had to do was fill a bowl with water and put gummy bears in it. First I had to measure the gummy bears before. Then I let it sit over night. I measured it afterward.

  Before       After
~~~~~~~  ~~~~~~

 11/16 in.      1 in.
All of the gummy bears before put in
the bowl.

I couldn't find my picture of a gummy bear after so, sorry. : (
The after gummy bears were sticky like Jell-O and were 1 in. tall.
 I got to eat some gummy bears while I was working. ^_^ YUM!

I guess if instant rainbow gummy bear Jell-O, this is the project for you. Just one bag of gummy bears in to a bowl of water and let I sit overnight. :-)

The point of  this project is how this ingredient in Jell-O called "gelatin" absorbs water. That's why the after gummy bears felt like
Jell-O.

/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\
Now lets add a bit of history into this post. Long ago, there was the "accidental" discovery of silly putty!! Long ago, a guy named James Wright was trying to make rubber out of silicone oil, but it didn't work. He threw the goo on the floor and guess what happened? It bounced back at him!! It was a failure, but James was so fascinated with the goo that he couldn't just leave it on a shelf. He showed other researchers his amazing discovery.  And that's how one of the most popular toys has been discovered. I <3 putty!
/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\




There was this blueprint I got in the tinker lab for making slime!! It was pretty cool. There were three recipes. There was super slime, play putty and bouncy ball. Here is the recipe for super slime.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Borax Mixture
~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I had to fill a small cup one halfway with water and added 1 small blue scoop of borax and mixed it with a craft stick. ( Don't know how much the large or small scoop holds.)  
~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Glue Mixture
~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I added 2 large scoops of water with 1 large scoop of glue and 6 little scoops of glow powder and mixed it with a craft stick.( Don't know how much the tiny scoop holds.)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Making the Slime
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I used a pipette to squirt 6-10 squirts of borax mixture into the glue mixture. Then, I mixed it with a clean craft stick until the mixture formed a clump around the craft stick. Next, I kneaded the slime for a minute or more. (It lasts for a few weeks.)
 
Now here is the recipe for play putty.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Borax Mixture
~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I filled a small cup halfway with water and added one blue scoop of borax. Then I stirred the mix with a clean craft stick.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Glue Mixture
~~~~~~~~~~~~~
In a clean cup, I added 1 large scoop of water, 1 large scoop of glue and 2 small scoops of cornstarch. (I wanted some color in it, so I added 10 drops of green liquid watercolor.) Then, I mixed it with a clean craft stick.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Making the Putty
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I used the pipette to squirt 6-10 squirts of borax into the glue mixture, then I mixed with a clean craft stick. Then I kneaded the putty for a minute or more. (It lasts for a few weeks.)

/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\

I hope you liked this post. This is just part 1 of this post and please like.
BBBBYYYYEEEE!!!!

/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\

No comments:

Post a Comment