Wednesday, March 23, 2016

My Uplifting Gravity Kit: Part 2

/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\
Hey guys! Today I'm going to talk about how carnival games are rigged and some of the projects I did.


Many carnival games look easy to beat, but thanks to workers rigging them, they're quite hard. There are many games that are rigged. Some of these games have to do with the center of mass. I'm only going to explain three.

THE MILK BOTTLES
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I bet you know this game. To win the game, you got to knock down three milk bottles. BEWARE: Things are not what they seem! The milk bottles are really heavy at the bottom of the stack. (That makes the center of mass really low. To demonstrate a throw, the operator would have a heavy milk bottle on the top of the stack. When the operator throws, the bottles fall easily. That makes it look easy, when it's time for your throw, TA-DA! Knocking down all three bottles is quite hard. If you want to win, throw really hard at the bottom heavy bottles.

THE LADDER
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
This game is pretty tricky. If you lean to one side, it will flip over and you'll be on the mat. If you're good at balancing on wobbly things, this game is for you. Balance is the key to winning this game. Keep your feet on the rungs as far apart as they can go. Put both of your hands on the ropes and move opposite limbs. That will keep your center of mass in the middle of the ladder. They had this game at Six Flags. It was hard when I first tried it



CAT RACK
~~~~~~~~~~~~~ 
This is the game you have to watch out for. You have to knock down 3 cats to win a prize. It's nearly impossible, because:

  1. Crazy hair makes it hard to aim right.
  2. Most of the cats have weights to make the game harder/impossible.
  3. Movable weights that can move with the flick of the hand.
  4. Operators are C-H-E-A-T-E-R-S because they rig the games!
The operator would move the weight up so if he/she throws a ball, the cat falls down easily. When it's your turn, the weight goes down to make it harder. ( Almost like the milk bottles.)


BALANCING BIRD
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

My next project, the balancing bird, didn't really work, but I'll talk about it anyway. For this project, I needed...

- Pop-out bird pieces
- 2 Dimes
- Clear tape

First I folded the two heads parts together and taped them together to make the head. Taking two pieces of tape, I taped a dime on each wing of the bird. Folding the two bird sides, I slid the tail in and taped the two sides on the bottom of the bird. The bird was supposed to balance on my index finger and stay there. It didn't work, but it was worth a try. I think it didn't work because the dimes were too close to the tip of the wings.


CENTER OF MASS DETECTOR
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
For this, I needed...
- Empty Cheerios box
- Scissors
- Pushpin
- Pencil
- String
- Quarter

I took the Cheerios box and cut out the front. Then I cut out a weird, unusual shape from the front. Tying the pushpin and the quarter on either end of the string, I pushed it into the top of my weird shape. To find out where the center of mass was, I had to draw a line where the string fell. I did this step again at a different side of the shape. Where the lines met, I had to draw a Circle around. That's where the center of mass is. If the string falls through the circle, it near the center of mass.

/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\

I hope you enjoyed this post, if you did please like and comment. In the next post I'll have a new tinker crate. Bye guys! <3
/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\

No comments:

Post a Comment