Friday, February 19, 2016

Automaton Time! : Part 3

/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\
Hey again guys! Today I'll be talking about one of my projects and an automaton boy that could draw and write poems.

ART AUTOMATON
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
To make the art automaton, I needed....
- 2 dowels
- Cams
- 2 cardboard pieces
- Straw
- Zip tie
- Tinker crate (Lid cut off)
- Craft knife
- Masking Tape

Positioning the box so one of the sides faces up, I cut two round holes halfway down from the top and half an inch away from the edge. I cut 2 1 in. straws to go through the holes. Then I slid the straws in the holes. Putting the short dowel on a short cardboard piece, I folded both sides up and tied them together with a zip tie. That's going to be the cam follower. Taking the long cardboard piece and folding it so the holes line up, I pushed the dowel through the holes. After that I taped the cardboard to the inside of the box. Then I cut a hole at the top so the dowel could move freely. Taking the long dowel and a random cam, I slid the dowel through one of the straws, the cam, and the other straw. If you turned the dowel, the cam will turn and the cam follower will move up and down. I had to make some art to complete the project.

If you saw my unboxing video, you may know the flap at the end of the tinker-zine is a cut-out page for the art automaton. There were butterfly wings, giraffe parts, an egg shell, monster, chicken, and a hat. The first cut-out art I did was the hatching egg.










The first thing to do was color in the shell and chicken. Then I taped the top shell to the head of the chicken. Taking the bottom eggshell and some tape, I taped the eggshell to the front of the box. Adding a piece of tape to the bottom of the chicken, I stuck it to the dowel. I had to use the cam that looked like a spiral to make the egg hatch. The other choice I had for the egg was the monster. The next thing I did was the nodding giraffe.



After I colored in the giraffe parts, I took the craft knife and cut a hole on the bottom of the neck and one on the top of the body. I attached the two parts together with a brad. The brad makes the neck move up and down. Cutting another hole in the middle of the neck, I slid another brad through and attached it to the dowel. I used the egg-shaped cam for the giraffe.

 The last one I did was the shivering penguin. I needed a photo of a penguin and the hat.
Cutting out the penguin and coloring in the hat, I taped the hat onto the penguin. I taped the penguin on the dowel and picked the decagon cam. As the cam turns, the penguin moves up and down so fast it looks like its shivering. I wasn't able to do the flapping butterfly because I didn't have a clothespin.

THE ANONYMOUS AUTOMATON
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Long ago, in November 1928, at a museum in Philadelphia, an unusual thing was unloaded. It looked like an automaton boy. A family (unknown) had passed it on for a long time, but the automaton was nearly destroyed in a fire. The family had donated it to the museum and told it could write poetry and draw beautiful pictures. Intrigued, the museum workers got straight to work to repair the automaton. After they fixed it, they turned it on and stared in amazement as the boy drew picture after picture. Who made this amazing automaton? They never knew until they saw the boy write a poem in french.
 At the bottom of the poem, in french, it said, "Written by the automaton of Maillardet"

 Henri Maillardet was around in the 1700's. He was a Swiss clockmaker and made amazing automatons. The automaton boy is still around today. It is on display at the Franklin Institute in Philadelphia
This is the drawing automaton boy. It's probably how Hugo was thought of.
/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\

I hope you enjoyed this post, if you did please like and comment. In the next post I'll have a new tinker crate. Bye guys! <3
/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\

No comments:

Post a Comment