Monday, September 28, 2015

Tinker Lab on Soda Science Part 1

Hey again guys! Me again and in this post I'm going to be talking about my fifth tinker lab about soda science. It's all about soda and how carbon dioxide does different things in different ways. Also, whoever answered "cat" on the quiz for tinker lab on flight part 2, good job!

/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\

The first project I did was called "Dancing Raisins." (I don't have any pictures for this one. I forgot. :-(  )

What I had to do is fill a clear cup with clear soda, I used sprite, then I dropped a few raisins in it. They started going down and up and down like they were dancing!
How were they doing that? I saw bubbles form on the raisins, that's nucleation! CO2 bubbles are like life jackets for raisins, when bubbles reach to the top of the soda, they pop so the raisins sink again. Then bubbles form on the bumps of the raisin all over again. It's nucleation at work dudes, it's a nucleation site!

/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\

Next I got to the blueprint, it was for a CO2 rocket! I made a video for it too, it was pretty cool!

There were 4 things I needed to make, I started with making the rocket.
First, I stuck on 4 clear fins on to a plastic bottle using two rivet stickers on each side. Then I used a circle piece of sticky foam to stick a foam cone on top for the tip of the rocket.


I couldn't wait for my first launch
as soon as I  made it.

Next I made the launcher, I first had to slide a cork into a launcher piece, then I added it on the last launcher piece. Last I added a zip tie to keep it together.

This helps build up pressure to launch the rocket.
Next I made a funnel for the rocket, I just had to add two clear stickers on a clear funnel piece.
 
This is just to load the mixture into the rocket.
Last I made the launch mixture. First I added two teaspoons of citric acid and baking soda into a little cup. Next I stirred it together until it was completely combined. How does it launch? When I added the launch mixture into the water, CO2 gas started building up in rocket and there was so much pressure in the bottle, it launched straight into the air! Cool, huh?
Here is a video for the launch too! It was awesome!
 
 

 
/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\
My next project was called "Magic Balloons."
First, I filled a bottle half way with water with a teaspoon of citric acid in it. Next, I filled a small balloon with 1 teaspoon of baking soda. Last I stretched the balloon over the bottle and tilted it upwards. As the baking soda fell in, the bottle started to fill up with pressure and the balloon started to expand!

/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\
 
I hoped you enjoyed this post, please like and comment. In the next post I will be talking about more CO2 projects and a super tasty fizzy treat. Bye guys!
 
/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\

No comments:

Post a Comment