Thursday, August 20, 2015

Tinker Lab about Flight (Part 1)

Aloha! Today I going to talk about my fourth tinker lab that is all about flight! I got to make a ton of stuff!

/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\

Flying isn't just trying to strap  on wings your arms. It's not like Daedalus and Icarus escaping captivity by strapping wax wings to their backs. Yet, thanks to inventors failed attempts, we have learned a ton of stuff about airplanes.

Anyway, it takes forces of flight to make an airplane fly. Those forces are thrust, drag, lift, and gravity. Thrust makes the aircraft fly forward. The aircraft engine creates the thrust. Drag, created by air, slows the plane down.  Lift, created by the wings, makes the plane go up. Finally, gravity makes the plane go down.

Now lets get to my first project, it's called, "An Uplifting Experiment."

I had to cut a piece of notebook paper into a small rectangle. Then, I curled the paper to make it curl down. Finally, I put the paper next to my lips and blew air over the paper. That made it rise up! I did it the opposite way and it curled down! How did it happen? Lift happened!

It happened thanks to Isaac Newton's third law. "For every action, there is a equal and opposite reaction." If a balloon is filled with air and you let it go, the air goes down (The action.) and the balloon goes up. (The reaction.)

/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\

Now let's talk about "biomimicry." It was used long ago when inventors were making flying machines. They were making machines with flapping wings. I read about the mechanical bird and Leonardo Da Vinci.

Da Vinci's early wing design.

/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\

My next project was called "Designer Gliders."

First, I folded a piece of paper in half and cut out a pair of wings and a tail (I tried a bat wing design.). Next, I stuck them on a glider body with some sticky foam. Last, I put a piece of clay on the end to finish the glider. When I launched it, it didn't glide well. I made one for Tessa too.

My rubber band launcher.
My bat glider.


Tessa's butterfly glider.
/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\

I hope you liked the post. In the next post, I will be talking about famous flyers and some more gliders. (That did work! :-) )
Bye!

No comments:

Post a Comment